LAUNCH OF OUR LINE
Where does your commitment to the oceans come from?
Meeting with Sebastien, founder of Apnée
With my wife Marion, we started diving a few years ago. Discovering the seabed and its beauty has awakened our awareness and our desire to preserve it. By launching our men's swimwear brand, we wanted to create a brand in line with our beliefs. Ecology and safeguarding the Big Blue are at the heart of our concerns today.
Can you tell us the story of the first eco-designed capsule collection?
Beyond offering elegant swimsuits, our attachment to the abyssal depths quickly reminded us that today it was essential to act on our scale.
Last year we launched a first capsule collection of 6 swimsuits called “Ocean”. Inspired by the depths of the sea, we wanted this collection to be 100% eco-responsible.
For this we have developed a high performance fabric from recycled polyester fibers, thanks to plastic waste collected in the Mediterranean Sea and on the beaches.
The “Ocean” collection was therefore a first step to strengthen our commitment.
How does Apnée's commitment translate today?
Following the success of the “Ocean” collection last year, we wanted to go further by offering a complete range of 100% eco-responsible swimsuits.
Concretely, even if our jerseys are made from polyester, we participate in the depollution of the oceans by recovering the plastic waste that we transform into a resource.
We have also renewed our partnership with Surfrider.
This association created by a collective of surfers in 1990, fights very actively against the pollution of the oceans by regularly organizing waste collections on the beaches and by raising awareness among the populations.
We have chosen to donate €1 to the association for each swimsuit sold.
How do you turn a plastic bottle into a swimsuit?
To create this famous recycled collection, we work hand in hand with SEAQUAL. Seven steps are necessary to make our jerseys:
• The harvest : thanks to a network of 1,500 fishermen and 400 boats.
• The sorting: allows the separation of plastic waste, or only colorless waste will be used to create the fiber.
• The processing: reduces waste to polymer confetti.
• The spinning: production of polyester filaments using confetti.
• The weaving: fabric composition by mixing 70% Seaqual fiber with another recycled polyester fiber.
• The sublimation: printing of the drawings on a large sheet of paper which is then compressed at high temperature against our fabric to impregnate the pattern (this method is the most ecological because it does not need any water).
• The confection : cutting, embroidery and tailoring.
We recycle 10 plastic bottles to make a jersey.
And tomorrow ? What future do you envision for Apnée?
The adventure has only just begun and we want to continue to grow our brand in an eco-responsible way.
We are going to develop the men's wardrobe in line with our message. For this, we want to use organic materials that respect our environment.
We have some great surprises in store for you next year.